Serves 4: Appetizer portions
1 small/personal sized ripe watermelon
2 medium-small cucumbers
8 oz sunflower sprouts
3 oz toasted sunflower seeds
2 oz chopped basil
1 oz chopped mint
2 limes (zest and Juice)
1 orange (zest only)
1 lemon (zest and juice)
Extra Virgin Olive
Fresh ciabatta torn into bite size crouton piece
4 oz Feta Cheese
To Taste Salt & Pepper
- Light wood or charcoal grill if using. If not preheat grill pan.
- While waiting for the grill: Peel cucumbers if desired. Box out 1 cucumber to facilitate grilling; dice the second cucumber and reserve. (Note from chef: boxing out or squaring off a cucumber means: leaving the cucumber whole, you cut the curved edges to simulate a box. This keeps it from rolling around on the grill and improves contact.)
- Divide the watermelon into 2 pieces. Cut half of the watermelon into half inch slabs, then peel and dice the second half of the watermelon and reserve.
- Chop herbs; reserve.
- Once grill is hot lightly oil cucumber and watermelon slabs. Grill the cucumber first, marking each side.
- Follow by grilling the watermelon getting one set of dark grill marks, and then flipping.
- The key to grilling these is not move them around on the grill any more than necessary.
- Once the cucumber is cool enough to handle, dice and mix with reserved cucumber, and watermelon.
- 9. Cut the grilled watermelon into desired shapes for plating, or remove the rind, and dice to incorporate into the cucumber/watermelon mixture.
- Season salad with olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, orange zest, and lemon zest. Toss with herbs, and season with fleur de sel.
11.Gently fry ciabatta in a sauté pan over medium heat, with a lot of olive oil, and
set on a paper towel to dry. Do not overcook, the croutons should be a
combination of chewy and crunchy. Or grill in thick slices until crunchy on the
outside, then dice into crouton shapes.
12.To finish: Dress sunflower sprouts with lemon and olive oil. Set grilled
watermelon steaks (or whatever desired shape you cut) onto plates, and place
diced salad over the top. Sprinkle with toasted sunflower seeds, and feta
cheese. Finish with sunflower sprouts, croutons, and a drizzle of olive oil.