Serves 8-10 as appetizer
1 cup baby eggplant, sliced
4 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt to taste
½ large red onion
pinch red pepper flake
6 cloves garlic, shaved
1 cup sungold tomatoes
2 cups red peppers, sliced
2 cups summer squash
2 Tbl tomato paste
2 Tbl sugar
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup chopped mint
¼ cup almonds, chopped & toasted
50/50 ratio almond butter & Greek yogurt (1 cup Almond Butter & 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt)
1 baguette, sliced into rounds and toasted
- Heat up the extra virgin olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat and toast the garlic and pepper flakes until golden.
- Add red onion and cook until soft and slightly transparent.
- Add cut eggplant, squash and peppers and sauté until vegetables are lightly browned, tossing occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato paste and a few tablespoons of water and continue to cook until most of the water has evaporated.
- Stir in the sungold tomatoes, vinegar, and sugar and cook until slightly thickened.
- Chill slightly and stir in the chopped mint and almonds.
- Mix almond butter with Greek yogurt, spread on baguette rounds and top with caponata.