1 ¼ cup Cornmeal
½ cup All purpose flour
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Baking Powder
1 ½ cup Buttermilk
1 Tbs Salt
2 cups Okra (sliced ¼ thick)
1 Tbs Canola Oil
- In a large bowl, combine the Cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk and oil. Whisk to fully incorporate.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and, using a whisk, mix just enough to break up lumps.
- Do not over mix.
- Fold the okra into the batter and rest for a few minutes.
- Heat a pan (preferably cast iron) over medium heat with just enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Drop the fritters into the pan in spoonfuls and brown (about 1‐2 minutes). Turn the fritters over and cook for the same amount of time. Drain on paper towels.
Sweet & Sour Peppers
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Chili peppers (pick a variety that suits your personal “spice” level. I prefer banana peppers)
2 stalks Basil (bruised)
¼ cup Sorghum Syrup
- Combine the vinegar and syrup in a saucepot and bring just up to a boil. Stir and reduce heat to a simmer. Add the sliced peppers and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place the bruised basil into a second container. Be sure that this container is not only heat tolerant, but also non‐corrosive (no aluminum). Pour the vinegar and peppers over the basil.
- Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
- Cool the peppers before serving.