Savory Bread Pudding
Southern Sandwich Bread 1 loaf
Brown sugar 1 cup
Vanilla extract 1 tablespoon
Salt 1 pinch
Whole organic milk 5 cups
Apples peeled and diced 2 cups
Nutmeg grated 1 teaspoon
Goat cheese ½ cup
Thyme minced 1 tablespoon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degree F.
- In a big bowl, tear apart the bread into chunks
- In another bowl, mix the sugar and eggs until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the vanilla and salt Blend well.
- Slowly add the milk and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the cheese and mix till fully incorporated
- Place the torn bread in a baking pan. Pour the egg/milk mixture over the bread to evenly coat each piece of bread.
- Wash your hands well.
- Add the apple and gently fold the milk mixture into the bread with your hands.
- Grate in nutmeg and sprinkle thyme over top
- Cover with foil, place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour
- Uncover and continue baking 30 minutes.
- Check the consistency, it should be slightly mushy and semi-solid. Continue to bake if needed.
- Let cool slightly at room temp.
- Shred gently with hands to aerate
- Refrigerate overnight, covered.
Caramel Bourbon Sauce
Sugar 2 cups
Heavy cream 1 cup
Vanilla bean, 1 split in half lengthwise
Lemon juice 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed
Unsalted butter 2 tablespoons
Bourbon 1 tablespoon
- Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a 2-quart saucepan set over medium heat.
- Without stirring, cook mixture until dark amber in color, swirling the pan carefully while cooking, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Slowly add cream, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Stir to combine.
- Scrape the vanilla seeds into the pan, and add the pod.
- Add lemon juice, butter, and bourbon.
- Bring sauce to room temperature, or warm over low heat, before using.
- Cover, and store, refrigerated, up to 1 week.