Makes 20 sandwiches
½ cup (2 ounces) cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups (6 ounces) unbleached flour
2 sticks (8 ounces) butter
2 tablespoons Vanilla
1 cups (4 1/2 ounces powdered sugar)
Zest from 2 lemons (4 teaspoons)
1 pint Westside Creamery Bourbon Pecan
1 10 oz. jar Emily G’s Triple Berry jam
Granulated sugar for tops of cookies
2 or more sheets parchment paper
Recipe from The Cookie Studio
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grind cornmeal in a food processor until fine
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside
- In a mixer, blend butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until creamy
- Add flour mixture and mix until dough just comes together. Do not overmix
- Form dough into a round disc and place on 1 sheet of parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough to 1/8 inch. Place dough in freezer for approx. 15 minutes or until firm. Remove the dough from the freezer and slowly peel the parchment from both the top and the bottom of the dough. Place the dough back on one sheet of the parchment paper.
- Using a round cookie cutter (approx. 2” in diameter) cut out the cookies and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. You can place the cookies close together as they spread very little.
- Sprinkle the cookies with the granulated sugar before baking.
- Re-roll the left over dough and place back in the freezer.
- Bake for 5 minutes, turn the pan and bake another 5 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- When the cookies are cool, spread ½ tsp. jam on the bottom of one cookie.
- Place 1 tablespoon of ice cream on top of the jam. Cover with a second cookie.
- Freeze the cookies until the ice cream is firm.