½ Green Cabbage
5 Green Tomatoes*
4 Green Bell Peppers
4 Red Bell Peppers
2 Jalapeno Pepper
1/3 cup Salt
3 Cups Sugar
2 Tbsp Mustard Seed
1 Tbsp Celery Seed
1 ½ tsp Turmeric
3 cups White Vinegar
1 ½ cups Water
* Can use firm red tomatoes if green tomatoes are out of season
- Finely chop all of the vegetables into a mixing bowl.
- Toss the vegetables with the salt until evenly distributed.
- Cover them with plastic wrap, refrigerate and let them sit overnight (or at least 2 hours).
- *This will help release any excess liquid from the vegetables*
- After the salted vegetables have rested, rinse them in a colander with cold water.
- Drain/ squeeze out excess liquid.
- Place the veggies in a stockpot and add the remaining ingredients for the chow chow.
- Bring to a boil and let the chow chow cook for about 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and place the chow chow in a container.
- Cool in the refrigerator completely before adding a lid to store it.
2 ½ lbs Okra
3 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil
To taste Salt & Pepper
- Chop the okra into bite sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until very hot.
- Add the okra to the pan and allow it to cook, caramelize.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Once the okra is cooked to the desired consistency, add some of the chow chow to the pan.
- Remove the okra from the heat, and serve immediately
Farmers Market Tip
DOUX SOUTH makes incredible chow chow, just in case you need it right this second…