Serves 6 as an appetizer
4 heads broccoli, florets removed, stems reserved
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. quality cider vinegar
2 tbsp. local honey
1 tbsp. Doux South mustard
1 orange, zested, juiced
salt + pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of aggressively salted water to a full boil. Build an ice bath in a large bowl with three parts ice, one part water. Add florets to boiling water and allow to boil until broccoli is bright green (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from boiling water and shock in ice bath. Strain broccoli and allow to dry on a sheet tray lined with a clean kitchen towel.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar, orange juice + zest. While whisking vigorously, stream in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dress broccoli with vinaigrette and chill
- Take reserved broccoli stems and peel with peeler to create broccoli ribbons. Place in a bowl of ice water to curl.
2 heads broccoli, florets removed, stems reserved
1 clove garlic, peeled
¼ pound cold butter, cut into chunks
- In same pot of salted boiling water, blanch broccoli florets until soft but still green. While still warm, add broccoli to blender. Blend on full speed. Add butter. If the broccoli isn't spinning add a little of the blanching liquid to get the blade to catch. Be careful not to add too much or you will thin it. Be patient and let the butter do its work. Pour broccoli puree in to a small bowl and float bowl in ice water to chill. Set aside.
½ pound, fresh feta, strained and crumbled
½ bag Sea Salt Crackers, broken up a little
On six dishes, spoon broccoli puree. Top with marinated broccoli, feta and Sourdough cracker crumbles. Eat and talk about delicious things with your dinner guests.