4 stalks Young Bamboo
2 cups Carolina Gold Rice
8 cups Water
1/2 c Sugar
1/4 c Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Dry Mustard
2 tsp Celery Seed
1/4 cup Spring Onion (shaved thin and minced finely) Heritage Farm
2 cups Mayonnaise
1 ea Garlic Scapes (sliced very thin)
1 cup Sugar Snap Peas (trimmed and cut into julienne)
For the Rice
- Soak the rice in water and agitate until the water is milky and starchy. Pour both the rice and water into a pot. Bring to a boil then immediately turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook until the rice is just tender (about 5 minutes).
- Drain the rice through a colander. SAVE THE WATER THAT THE RICE COOKED IN! Chill the rice in ice water. Drain again once the rice is chilled and set aside.
For the Bamboo
- With a sharp knife, split the entire stalk in half lengthwise. Peel off the outer leaves and place in a wide pot with the rice cooking water.
- Boil 5 minutes then remove the bamboo. Brush with oil, season with salt and pepper and grill until charred to your taste.
For the Dressing
- Dissolve the sugar and dry mustard into the vinegar then combine with the rest of the ingredients
- Toss the chilled rice, sugar snap peas, garlic scapes and dressing together. Correct the seasoning with salt if necessary.
- Cut the bamboo into 1-inch pieces and serve on top of the rice salad.