Serves 2 – 4 as a side dish
2 ea Medium Sweet Potatoes
1 bunch Collard Greens
2 Tbl Fresh Ginger, finely diced
½ Yellow Onion
2 Tbl Canola Oil or Plain Butter
¼ cup Cardamom & Cinnamon Butter
- Roast sweet potatoes whole at 375 until tender, about 1 hour
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool before peeling them
- Once sweet potatoes have cooled, peel off the skin
- Cut sweet potatoes into ½ in thick medallions
Collards and Ginger
- Remove stem from 1 bunch of collards
- Chiffonade the leafs of collards
- Peel and dice 1 small piece of ginger (should give you 2 tablespoons)
- Slice ½ a yellow onion
In a cast iron skillet or stainless steel skillet
- Heat skillet and add butter or canola oil
- Season the sweet potato with salt and pepper and sear in the iron skillet until
caramelized and dark brown, remove from pan and hold warm.
- In the same skillet, add a tablespoon of butter and sweat the ginger and
- Add collards and cook on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes until the greens are
tender and still vibrant green.
Place a piece of the seared sweet potato on the plate and top with the cooked collards.
Drizzle with melted cinnamon & cardamom Banner Butter
If you save the collard stems, you can pickle them and use them as a garnish for the plate.
To add more spice to the sweet potato, use cinnamon and cardamom butter from Banner
Butter when searing.