1 cup heavy cream
1 clove smashed garlic
1 bay leaf
1 bunch thyme
Kosher Salt to Taste
¼ lb. butter
1 lb. turnips cleaned, sliced thinly, reserve greens
½ lb. Hen of the Woods Mushrooms* sliced thinly
1 cup Parmesan Cheese
Reserved turnip greens, thick stems removed
*You can use any foraged or locally sourced mushrooms with a thicker texture. Ask farmer Michael Hendricks at Indian Ridge Organic Farm what he has available!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Steep garlic, bay leaf, thyme in heavy cream for 20 minutes and season with salt.
- Butter the bottom of a Cast Iron Pan or oven-safe, deep, baking dish and sprinkle with enough parmesan to lightly dust.
- Lay a little bit of the steeped cream, then shaved turnips, followed by shaved mushrooms and turnip greens.
- Repeat step 4, about 5 to 6 times until cast iron is full while sprinkling parmesan in between each step.
- Bake covered in oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining parmesan, and bake for 20 more minutes until fork tender.