Recipe yield: 4-6 servings
4 each Large heirloom tomatoes (plus additional cherry tomatoes for garnish)
2 each yellow onions (thinly sliced)
1 bunch arugula (or soft peppery lettuce)
½ lb Many Fold Brebis (softened to room temp)
1 T butter
1 bunch basil (leaves picked)
1 each lemon
¼ cup sherry vinegar
1 cup olive oil
1 each “1/2 sheet” size frozen puff pastry (measures 18”x13”)
To Taste salt and pepper
To Taste sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F, place puff pastry on parchment lined ½ sheet tray, dock with fork, cover with parchment paper, and another ½ sheet tray. Bake until golden brown (approximately 20-25 minutes, for an easy substitute, you can toast thick slices of sourdough) Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Thinly slice yellow onion, reserve half. In small sauté pan, on medium heat, add one tablespoon of butter and ½ sliced yellow onion, sweat until completely caramelized (20-25 minutes). Place remaining onion in metal bowl and toss with sherry vinegar, 5-6 thinly sliced basil leaves, and ½ cup of olive oil as well as a tsp of salt. Let sit 20 minutes.
- In separate mixing bowl, place Brebis and caramelized onions, add juice of ½ lemon, as well as a tsp of salt, and a pinch of black pepper.
- Spread Brebis and onion mixture over puff pastry.
- Slice heirloom tomatoes to desired thickness (1/8”-1/4” thick). Separately dress arugula with olive oil and sea salt, add marinated onions, and 7-10 leaves of picked basil. Place sliced tomatoes on top of puff pastry, season liberally with sea salt and black pepper, and top with mixture of arugula and onions, cut into evenly sized pieces, and serve.