2 cups blanched greens (approximately 2 – 3 small bunches)
16 oz. black eyed Peas – canned or frozen
3 Slices bacon, 1/4” sliced
3 oz. smoked sausage, sliced (approximately 1 link)
1 medium onion, 1/4" diced
1 stalk celery, 1/4” diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon fine herbs
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
- Wash greens well, drain in colander. Put large pot of water on to boil. Put washed greens in boiling water, stir and blanch for one minute. Remove from water, drain in colander, and rinse with cold water. Set aside and let drain.
- Place bacon in stock pot and sauté on Medium heat.
- When bacon is half cooked add onions, celery, and sausage. Sautée 2 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water, cover, and turn fire down to med/low. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Coarsely chop greens.
- Remove cover. Add greens, black eyed peas, garlic, chicken stock and herbs. Let simmer med/low heat 20 minutes.
- Using your cooking spoon mash about 1/3 of the black eyed peas against the side of the pot. Or you can use a tablespoon and mash the peas against the cooking spoon.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoons of butter, stir. Simmer another 3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls with cornbread and/or biscuits.