3 T. EVO
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 pound of okra, washed and trimmed
1 clove of garlic, peeled and sliced
1 ripe tomato, skin removed, and diced
1/2 teaspoon dried chile flakes
Small pot of boiling water to remove tomato skins
Heavy bottomed skillet or non-stick sauté pan
- In a small pot or medium sized saucepan, bring some water to a boil. Place the tomato into the boiling water for approximately 60 seconds or until the skin bursts.
- Remove the tomato immediately and plunge into ice water. Peel the skin off then trim and dice into medium sized pieces.
- Wash and drain the okra, trim the tops off, and then cut in half lengthwise.
- Heat olive oil in a wide skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook for five minutes, stirring frequently, then add slivered garlic, hot pepper, okra, and season again. Cook for five minutes, then add chopped tomatoes, seasoning again. Serve as a side dish or add to pasta for a main dish.
- Also delicious if cooked with shrimp, added with the tomatoes.
Chef Demonstrations are sponsored by: