4 bunches radish with greens
2 bulbs fennel with tops & fronds
1 cup dried quinoa, white or red
1 1/4 cups of vegetable broth or filtered water
1 oz chives or two bunches
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 tablespoons
2 lemons, zested
Salt and fresh black pepper to taste
For the quinoa
- In a small sauce pot place rinsed quinoa with vegetable broth, bring to a simmer and reduce heat to lowest setting, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Turn heat off, season with salt and pepper, fluff quinoa, replace lid to keep hot.
For the Radish and Fennel: (Preheat oven to 400 degrees)
- Wash the radishes and fennel bulbs. Remove greens from radish, roughly chop, then cut radishes in half (depending on size, larger radishes will need to be cut smaller). Reserve greens and radish separately.
- Remove the fronds from the fennel and roughly chop, remove stalks from bulb (reserve for later use in soups/stocks), cut fennel bulbs in half, remove core and slice fennel into thin strips, working across the bulb.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When oil starts to ripple, add all radishes cut side down in pan, add strips of fennel on top of the radish and season with salt and pepper.
- When the radishes start to turn golden brown on the bottom, transfer to hot oven and roast for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven, add radish greens and fennel fronds, gently stir them in (over no heat) and let them wilt on top of the stove in the pan
For the vinaigrette
- Cut chives into small rounds and place in a bowl.
- Zest lemons into the bowl, then cut in half and juice on over chives.
- Add olive oil, whisk vinaigrette, and season with salt and fresh black pepper.
- On a large plate start by transferring hot quinoa as the base of the dish. Next, spoon the roasted fennel and radish mixture on top of the quinoa. To finish, drizzle chive vinaigrette over the whole dish and season with more sea salt and fresh black pepper if desired.