Note: This recipe needs to be started a day in advance, but requires very little last minute preparation.
2 cups of whole raw pecans
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or other mild vinegar)
1 1/2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoon lemon juice
pepper to taste
seasonal veg of your choice (anything you can chop works)
2 tablespoons minced green garlic
1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoon cilantro
- Put the pecans in a bowl and add cold water till nuts are covered completely. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 12 to 14 hours. Drain and rinse the pecans under warm water.
- Place the nuts in a blender with the honey, salt, vinegar and lemon juice. Blend on high for several minutes, until very smooth.
- Transfer to clean glass bowl.
- Stir in raw chopped vegetables.
- Spread on pita or firm, tender leafy greens like bok choy or endive.
- Top with a sprinkle of cilantro and sweet paprika and serve
This makes a fabulous vegetarian appetizer that is easily made gluten free by using the bok
choy leaves in place of pita.