1 pound okra, washed
1 Yellow onion, peeled and sliced
6-8 Dried hot chiles
2 T. Coriander seeds
1 T. Black peppercorns
1/4 cup Kosher salt
3 T. granulated sugar
1.5 cups water
1 quart apple cider vinegar
Large pot with lid
Extra water for boiling
- In a large pot, boil lids, seals, and jars for several minutes. Remove carefully, drain, and place onto clean towels to dry. Leave the pot of water on the stove for future use.
- Wash okra and trim any long stems. With clean hands stuff the okra into jars and pack tightly. Add 1-2 dried chiles 2-3 slices of onion per jar, and distribute the spices evenly among each jar.
- Meanwhile, bring the sugar, salt, vinegar and water to a boil in a nonreactive saucepot. Ladle the hot vinegar brine into the jars and quickly seal them.
- Then place the sealed jars into boiling water. Make sure the water is at least an inch above the top of the cans.
- Cover with lid and boil gently for 10 minutes. Pull the jars out carefully with tongs and then allow to cool.
- Check the lids to make sure the jars sealed properly, then once cooled, store in a cool dry place for a minimum of 5 days before opening.