Strawberry “Gazpacho” with Vanilla Yogurt and Toasted Almonds
Yield: 6-8 servings
2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled
1 cucumber, peeled & seeded & chopped into small pieces
1 cup, diced red pepper
1 cup diced spring onions
1 tsp minced spring garlic
5 basil leaves
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
EVOO as needed
Salt & black pepper to taste
1 cup Greek yogurt
½ vanilla bean
1 cup almonds
- Combine strawberries, cucumber, red pepper, onion, & garlic in a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- After a good night’s sleep, combine contents of bowl from the refrigerator with basil and balsamic vinegar in a blender. Puree until smooth, adding EVOO as necessary. Season with salt & pepper. Chill.
- To serve: In a small bowl, mix yogurt and the contents of vanilla bean. Garnish soup with yogurt and toasted almonds.
Local Strawberry Salad with Spinach, Radish, Carrots, Soft Cheese, & Pickled Ramp
1 lb. strawberries, hulled & cut in half
1 lb. spinach, washed
2-3 radish, sliced thinly on the mandolin
2-3 carrots, sliced on the mandolin
8 oz. Many Fold Brebis
Pickled Ramp Vinaigrette
1 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more as needed
2 lb. ramps, cleaned, green leaves trimmed to 1" past white and red parts
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. white peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp. caraway seed
½ tsp. fennel seed
½ tsp. cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
1 cup water
2 cups EVOO
- To pickle the ramps, clean them of dirt and lay them in a small container. In a small sauce pan, bring salt, vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, peppercorns, coriander, caraway, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, & bay leaf to a boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes until sugar is fully dissolved. Pour over ramps and cool at room temp. Once to room temp, place in refrigerator.
For the vinaigrette
- Dice ramps. Strain pickling liquid to remove spices. Combine 3 parts EVOO with 1 part ramp pickling liquid and diced ramps. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad. Toss gently. Serve