Serves 4 as a side or 2 as a main
2 heads broccoli
1 pc (5oz) plain butter
2 egg yolks
1 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard powder
2 biscuits warmed and split open
1 stem of garlic flowers
- Cut the smallest florets from the broccoli and set aside. Peel the stems and grate them on a fine box grater.
- Sprinkle the grated broccoli with salt and place into a colander set over a bowl. Rest for 15 minutes.
- Begin by melting the butter over high heat in a small saucepot. Stir until the butter browns and begins to take on a nutty aroma. Add one cup of the florets to the hot butter and fry until crispy. Drain them on paper towels. Remove from the heat, strain off any solids and cool the brown butter to just above room temperature.
- Place the yolks, water, lemon juice, salt and mustard powder in a bowl and whisk for 1 minute. Add the melted butter slowly at first to emulsify and then whisk the rest in to make a firm Hollandaise. Set aside at room temperature.
- Squeeze excess water off of the grated broccoli and mix with the brown butter to form a rich paste.
- Top the biscuit with the grated broccoli, top with the crispy florets, a sprinkle of the garlic flowers and a bit of sea salt.